Friday, February 11, 2011

The Raptor trip


Click here___ to see the Red Tailed Hawk video from this trip. On the road at the crack of dawn yesterday for a trip to Muscatatuck NWR. Then over to Starved Hollow area and then back to Muscatatuck NWR through Brownstown Bottoms. 9+ hours in all and only about .5 hour of video and a few stills {;-(. I thought about visiting Big Oak NWR or lake Patoka area but I decided not to use up a tank of gas until I have a job. I found out my Whooping Crane tracking system also tracks hunting dogs, Hum, not sure why hunting dogs transmitters are in the same frequency range as that used by Whooping Cranes????

I did see 5 Bald Eagles, four in the 135/Baseline Freetown area and 1 over Muscatatuck NWR. No good images or video, they just dont come close enough for my equipment {;-(. It looks as if a Bald Eagle nest is being constructed in the Freetown area. I stopped by the Bald Eagle nest near Starved Hollow but there was no activity there, It could be a little early yet. I also got to see the Muscatatuck NWR River Otters again, about the best part of the day, 20+ minutes of good video. I also was able to shoot a Red Tailed Hawk hunting for abour three minutes! I will add the video to the blog after I have a chance to edit it.


I was also hoping to see SandHill Cranes. Brownstown Bottoms is a good place to see Sandhills in the fall and spring, although I didnt see any on this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment