Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Jackson County Bald Eagle Nests



For more than a year I have been making the trip from Indianapolis to Jackson county near Starved Hollow to visit a Bald Eagle nest. Actually there are other places to visit in the area including one of my favorite places to go shooting(camera), Muscatatuck NWR. 
Last year the Starved Hollow nest was active, although I don’t know if the pair was productive.

This year I started looking for eagle activity around the Starved Hollow nest in December, but didn’t see any activity. I drove around the area and located a second nest just outside Brownstown. The Brownstown nest looked smaller than the Starved Hollow nest which could mean it’s a new nest.

Starved Hollow nest  Camera: Canon SX30IS


I visited both nests again in early March looking for activity. At the Starved Hollow nest no Eagles were seen, this is the time of year when the pair should be incubating the eggs and feeding each other. I left the Starved Hollow nest and drove to the Brownstown nest area. Several Bald Eagles were seen hunting in this area.

A week or so ago the wife and I visited the area again. As before the Starved Hollow nest was empty and no Bald Eagle activity was seen in the area. This time the Brownstown nest looked completed but it also didn’t have any activity and no Bald Eagles were seen in the area.

                                                 Brownstown nest  Camera: Canon SX30IS 

1 comment: